Are you battling with the winter blues?!
According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), about 9% of adult Americans have feelings of depression or hopelessness. In fact, major depression is the leading cause of disability for Americans between the ages of 15-44 years old.
What if I told you that you could help fight feelings of depression at your dinner table?!
What if your mood could be lifted simply by what you choose to pack for lunch?!
A healthy cognitive system is essential in regulating mood and maintaining normal brain function and this starts with NUTRITION!
Over the next several days, I’m going to share with you 8 Nutrients that can help Lift Your Spirits!!!
TODAY’S SPIRIT BOOSTING NUTRIENT
The most abundant mineral in the body and helps maintain strong bones
- Calcium is a critical chemical involved in the release of neurotransmitters, which acts as messengers between cells. Deficient amounts of calcium can be linked to various problems, including depression
- Calcium deficiency affect women more than men
- Since estrogen plays a large role in calcium production, calcium consumption may improve PMS related depression
- The Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA) is 1,000mg per day for adults
ACTIONS TO TAKE
- Don’t Skip Breakfast! Enjoy low-fat milk or yogurt as part of a morning meal. 1 cup of milk has 305mg of calcium and 6oz low-fat yogurt has 310mg per serving
- Pack Greens for Lunch! Kale has 179mg per 1 cup serving or serve a warm brussels sprouts salad for dinner!
- Add beans to soups, chili, and pasta dishes. 1/2 cup beans has up to 30mg of calcium per serving
- Snack on Hummus with baby carrots, raw broccoli florets, or whole wheat pita crackers. Add hummus to sandwiches for a healthy fat source! Hummus has approximately 60mg of calcium per serving.
- Drink fortified Orange juice or Soymilk which can provide about 300mg of calcium per 1 cup serving.
- Don’t Skip on Sardines! 4 sardines can provide almost 250mg of calcium!!
- Get familiar with Ricotta!!! Ricotta cheese provides almost 350mg per 1/2 cup serving!!! Ricotta is great in lasagna, a perfect addition to an omelet, or use as a healthy spread to replace cream cheese.
REMEMBER FOOD IS PREVENTATIVE MEDICINE! WHAT YOU EAT TODAY IMPACTS HOW YOU FEEL! TAKE CARE OF YOUR BODY WITH EACH MEAL YOU EAT!