I love foods that are versatile!!! This is probably the main reason I love chickpeas!! Chickpeas can be used in salads, soups, curries, chilis or stews. I highly recommend that you consider roasting chickpeas as a tasty and inexpensive protein source!
In addition to their versatility, chickpeas also offer 3 health benefits you do not want to miss.
- Reduce Cholesterol Levels: Research has shown that including 3/4 cup of chickpeas in your diet can help lower LDL (bad cholesterol) which in turn, lowers your risk of heart disease! Research has also shown that individuals that consume chickpeas on a regular basis have better body fat regulation, lower LDL cholesterol levels, lower total cholesterol levels, and lower triglyceride levels.
- Control Hunger Cues: Due to their high fiber and high protein content, this powerful combination will stabilize your hunger cues. My consuming 1/2 cup chickpeas in your daily intake you are more likely to eat an appropriate amount of calories for your body due to more accurate hunger/fullness cues. The long-term benefit means your body will rest at a healthy body weight.
- Improved Digestive Support: Did you know that 2 cups of chickpeas will give you approximately 28 grams of fiber? That is 100% of the recommended daily value! Consider chickpeas a staple on your grocery list if you want good colon health. 65-70% of the fiber found in chickpeas is insoluble fiber. This means the fiber is not digested until it reaches the very end of your colon which promotes healthy bacteria growth and reduces your risk of colon cancer!
Today, I’m sharing the easy concept of roasting chickpeas so you can always have a tasty, nutrient dense, meatless protein option available for your main entrée or for a snack!
- 2 – 15oz Cans of Low Sodium Chickpeas
- 1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- Assorted Herbs and Spices of Your Choice (I like to use Dried Thyme, Oregano, Ground Cayenne Pepper, and Crushed Rosemary)
- Garlic Salt
- Ground Black Pepper
- Cooking Spray
Pre-Heat oven to 425 degrees. Spray baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside. Drain and rinse chickpeas. Pat dry. Once dry, toss chickpeas with EVOO, assorted spices and herbs of your choosing, garlic salt, and ground black pepper. Toss chickpeas to make sure they are evenly coated with EVOO and herbs/spices. Pour chickpeas onto baking sheet and spread out so that all chickpeas are in a single layer. Roast at 425 degrees for 20-25 minutes (depending on your oven). Stir chickpeas halfway through cooking process to cook evenly on all sides. Serve hot or cold. This recipes makes 4-5 servings.
I like to serve roasted chickpeas on salads or over rice as a curry! Roasted chickpeas are great to make hummus and delicious as a portable snack!!! Be creative and enjoy this nutrient dense food!!!