Summer may be coming to an end, but don’t put up your grill just yet…. This burger is sure to be a crowd pleaser!!
FIG & FETA PORTOBELLO MUSHROOM BURGERS (recipe adapted from Half Baked Harvest)
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tamari sauce (gluten free soy sauce)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup olive or avocado oil
- crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 portobella mushroom caps, stems removed
- 4oz sheep feta cheese
- 4 brioche burger buns, toasted (use gluten free if needed)
- 4 tablespoons fig preserves
- 8 slices uncured cooked bacon (omit if vegeterain/vegan)
- 4 fried eggs
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/4 of your favorite BBQ sauce
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
In a gallon size Ziploc bag, combine the balsamic vinegar, tamari, mustard, olive oil, crushed red pepper flakes and black pepper. Add the mushroom caps and toss to coat. Let the mushrooms marinate 30 minutes to 1 hour.
Preheat an outside grill or grill pan to medium high. Place the mushrooms on the grill/grill pan and cook for 3-5 minutes on each side or until lightly charred. During the last minute add the feta cheese.
Spread each toasted bottom bun with fig preserves. If you are not using a bun, spread fig preserves over feta cheese. Top your mushroom burger with 1 slice cooked bacon, 1 fried egg and handful of fresh arugula. If using a bun, spread each top bun with smoky ketchup!! Serve with roasted sweet potato fries or asparagus!!